#2 - Apocalyptic Asparagus
RECORDED - March 17th 2021
Today we're talking about our personal experiences of the pandemic. Some of it tasted good, some of it tasted sad, and we're still digesting.
Send your comments and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Syma's Soup of the Day - Apocalyptic Asparagus
1 bunch asparagus spears, trimmed
1 head of garlic (top cut off and loose paper removed)
2 medium shallots, diced
cooking oil of your choice
3-4 cups broth (I used homemade chicken)
salt to taste
cashew cream to taste
zest and juice of 1 lemon
To make cashew cream:
Soak a cup of cashews for 2-4 hours in 2 cups of water. Drain, and then blend on high with an added 1/2 cup water until liquidy and DELICIOUS.
To make soup:
1) Pre-heat oven to 400
2) Drizzle oil over the exposed top of the head of garlic, wrap in foil and place in the oven for ~40 minutes. (You are roasting the garlic)
3) Toss asparagus with a few pinches of salt and oil and place in the oven to cook until just brown and tender all the way through (about 12 minutes).
4) Meanwhile, cook shallots in oil on a low heat on stove. The longer you do this, the more caramelized and goopy they get. YUM!
5) When the garlic is done, squeeze the cloves out into the pot, add roasted asparagus and enough broth to cover everything, bring stove to medium high and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer.
6) Let the flavors mingle for a bit and then blend this base. You can use an immersion blender, food processor, or regular blender. I prefer a regular blender for this one so it gets SUPER smooth.
7) pour the base back into the pot and then add cashew cream to taste. After you add cashew cream, add a bit more salt to taste, and finally, lemon zest and juice to taste.
8) Eat with a crusty piece of sourdough and if you want more spring vibes, grow some pea shoots and make a salad with them!